Menu

Our History

Our nation was only 41 years old when five devoted Methodists met to organize the church which grew to become the Utica United Methodist Church. Two of the founders of Utica's first church were Utica's first settlers, Nathaniel and Jemima Squires. The Utica United Methodist Church began with those five members in 1823, making it one of the oldest churches in Michigan. The first pastor, Rev. Elias Patee, met in a log cabin by the Clinton River, near what is now Auburn Road and Cass Avenue. In 1839, two lots were purchased at what is now Brownell and Summers in Utica and a real church was erected. In 1855, the church was moved to its current location on the corner of Cass and Stead in Utica. This building is still used as a church and is the oldest church building in Macomb County.

 

In 1960, the need of a larger facility prompted the purchase of five acres of a former radish farm just south and east of the Utica City Limits. On December 5, 1965, the congregation worshipped for the first time in its new building on Canal Road in Sterling Heights. This church has a proud Christian heritage to pass on to its future generations of worshippers. Founded by John Wesley, the Methodist theology is based on scripture, tradition, experience, and reason.

 

HISTORY OF THE DENOMINATION:

John Wesley, an ordained Anglican priest in London, received an inspiration at a prayer meeting in 1738 which led him to become the first teacher of "Methodism." That night his heart was changed- “My heart was strangely warmed.” He and his brother Charles set out to form societies of "Methodists" who followed a daily routine of religious observance and social work, passionate preaching, daily discipleship and lives changed through the power of the Holy Spirit. In America several denominations of "Wesleyans" were formed, but in 1968 the Evangelical United Brethren Church and the Methodist Church joined to form The United Methodist Church - America’s second largest Protestant denomination.